Friday 17 February 2012

The Everyday Life of a Religious Roots Student!

We have had quite a lot of posts about applying and the new great one asking for the professors candid opinions!  But for you lot out there who are thinking about the course, I thought I would give you an exclusive look into the day to day aspects of a hardworking (?!) student's life!

So at the moment, like the rest of Copenhagen students we have just finished a number of exams.  I would say the average person has to complete 2 or 3 exam papers during this period, which isn't bad!  They can either be fixed or free exams, depending on how many assignments you have completed during the semester. (I will get to this thrilling discussion post haste!)  With a fixed exam the lecturer must set you a question based on a reading list you have selected and you have four days to complete.  On the other hand, the free exam leaves you far more time for the almost compulsory exam procrastinations (see other entries on helpful procrastination tips from an expert procrastinator).  

Unfortunately, there is no rest for the wicked after exam period as we choose our new modules and start reading for these.  Each module differs but usually, we have weekly assignments where we post a 300 (or there abouts) written piece about the reading and our interpretations.  We are then asked to comment on other peoples' pieces with a seemingly mandatory "well done, but" or "good job, however" as we then go in for the kill and disagree in good old fashioned debate style!  This year, I myself have chosen, what I feel are some great modules:  Latin (which I have always wanted to study, being a Classics geek!), and two 'interaction' modules entitled 'The role of women in religious communities and texts' and 'Ancient philosophy and the making of theology in early Christianity'.  Both modules offer different and interesting reading material and discussions, with plenty of primary sources.  So far, and in all honesty, I have thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

I am not going to lie and say that the workload is easy, because it isn't.  Like a full time job, you have to dedicate hours to a lot of reading and participating in discussions.  However, what we are discussing is interesting and if you through yourself in and get involved then there is so much to gain from it and others.  The real great thing about this programme is the mixture of people on it, and when you open up discussions about topics such as philosophy and gender studies, the opinions vary dramatically.  I feel that I have as much to learn from my colleagues as I do the secondary sources I read.

Another daily duty for me other than work hard, is to play hard!  I am an international student studying in Copenhagen and there is plenty to do!  If I'm not catching up on the gossip over coffee, its the cinema, a great independent restaurant, or even a sneaky drink!  I always feel that you have to balance your time, all work is not healthy and when there's so much fun to be had, why not have it!  I believe that us 'Religious Rooters' share this mentality; we are often found in the Student House gossiping together and try and organise regular events where we can just catch up!

Anyways, I think thats about it!  See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment